Step 1: Remove Office 2016 for Mac applications
- Open Finder and click Applications.
- Command ⌘+click to select all of the Office 2016 for Mac applications.
- right-click the applications you selected and click Move to Trash.
Step 2: Remove supporting files
The supporting files you need to remove are in the Library and User folders.
Remove files from the Library folder
- Open Finder, click Go → Computer, and then click View as Columns.
- Go to Macintosh HD → Library → LaunchDaemons.
- In the LaunchDaemons folder, right-click each of these files if present, and then click Move to Trash.
- com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist (if present)
- com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (if present)
- Go to Library → PrivilegedHelperTools, right-click each of these files if present, and then click Move to Trash.
- com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper (if present)
- com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper (if present)
- Go to Library → Preferences and right-click this file if present, and then click Move to Trash.
- com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.plist (if present)
Remove files from your user Library folder
To remove files from your user Library folder, you’ll need to first set the Finder View options.
- In Finder, press ⌘+Shift+h.
- On the Finder menu, click View as List → View → Show View Options.
- In the View Options dialog box, select Show Library Folder.
- Switch back to Column view (⌘+3) and click Library → Containers and right-click each of these folders if present, and then click Move to Trash.
- Switch back to Column view (⌘+3) and click Library → Group Containers and right-click each of these folders if present, and then click Move to Trash.
Step 3: Remove Keychain Entries
- Open Finder → Applications → Utilities → Keychain Access and remove the following password entries:
- Microsoft Office Identities Cache 2
- Microsoft Office Identities Settings 2
- Search for all occurrences of ADAL in the keychain and remove all those entries if present.
Step 4: Remove Office 2016 for Mac icons from the Dock
If you added Office icons to the Dock they may turn into question marks after you uninstall Office 2016 for Mac. To remove these icons, right click the icon and click Options → Remove from Dock.
Step 5: Restart your computer
When you’ve removed all the files listed in this section, empty the Trash and restart your computer.