With the upcoming update from Google that allows them to use your name, face and other online things in ads to anyone that they think could be influenced by your opinion. They are basically putting in an online word-of-mouth system per say, know what others in your circles are saying about a particular eatery, vacation spot, etc is how they are putting it.
If you have a Google Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on Google or on third-party applications connected to your Google Account (such as +1’s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our Services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility settings in your Google Account. For example, you can choose your settings so your name and photo do not appear in an ad.
To read more from Google, go here.
Opting out is easy, just follow these steps:
- Go to the Shared Endorsements page
- Uncheck the box labeled Based upon my activity, Google may show my name and profile photo in shared endorsements that appear in ads.
- Click Save
- Click continue in the next pop-up box
While this change may be a concern to many, I have to give Google props for notifying its users way ahead of time and provide a way to opt out, unlike other companies.. Facebook … Yes, they did something similar and there is NO WAY to really opt out apart from tweaking your privacy settings. Read about it at Forbes
Keep in mind, you have until November 11th to opt out.
- Google Updates Terms of Service to Include You in Advertising – but You Can Opt Out (geeksugar.com)
- Google To Start Using Your Profile Picture And Name in Ads, Here’s How To Opt Out (redmondpie.com)